Home / SFF / Write an Abstract
Write an Abstract
What's an Abstract
- An abstract is summation of your research.
- Abstracts, typically, are either descriptive OR informative.
- We are writing informative abstracts, which are about 200-300 words long.
- Spoken outloud, an abstract lets you say as much as possible in 90 seconds.
- Abstracts are NOT summaries
- A real Summary would be much longer and include many sub-points as well as more specific data.
- Reading an abstract allows a research lead, or a conference chair, or a senior thesis advisor, or a graduate chair (for a master's or a PhD) to determine if you have an original idea or if you might be reinventing an idea that's already been done.
Template for the Abstract
Former Examples of Abstracts?
Creating a title
- A good title should have two parts: a creative part and a descriptive part.
- The Creative part is usually intriguing, or humorous, or allusive. (Below, the creative parts are in bold)
- The Descriptive part is your thesis expressed as a sentence fragment.
(excitable and raises questions without asking questions)
- Translator, Traitor: Translational Injustices in The Three-Body Problem and other Emerging Chinese Science Fiction
- Who is the traitor? Why are they a traitor? Because they translated something?
- "Monika Deleted My Title": The Immersive ARGs and RPGs That Redefine Fantasy Horror Entertainment
- Wait...who's Monika, and which title did she delete? and why is she deleting stuff that's not hers
(word play/ puns)
- FunKo POPed the Nerd Culture: How Contemporary Nerd Culture Uses Obscure Characters to Maintain Their Status
- Funko POP toys; Funko "POPed" the nerd culture...ah, i get it.
- Let’s Talk Over Some Coco: Culturally-infused Concepts of Death and Dying in Children Fantasy Narratives from Coco to >Kena: Bridge of Spirits.
- Ooohhh, like having a cup of cocoa, but she used the film Coco. ah-ha.
(Alludes to other narratives or widely known ideas)
- It’s Dangerous to Go Alone, Take Someone with You: The Rise of Squad Mechanics and Simulated Social Trust in Mass Effect: Andromeda and The Outer Worlds
- Ah, a play on the Zelda sign/warning. So...this is about video games.
- I Kissed Purity Culture Goodbye: Western Purity Culture and The Handmaid’s Tale, The Testaments, and Hulu’s Serial Pure
- This one alludes to and spins the title of a book: I Kissed Dating Goodbye
- If unknown to the reader, then this one would be more like an Intriguing title than an Allusive title.