Time Needed for a Desired Grade
Calculate available hours
- See this worksheet to determine how much time you actually need.
How much time do you really have?
- Add up the total hours per day that you:
- Sleep (8 hours?)
- Eat (1 hour total for all meals?)
- Clean/Laundry (1/2 hour ?)
- Hygiene/shower (1 hour?)
- Shopping (1/2 hour?)
- Drive time
- That's 12 hours per day.
- 12 hours per day x 7 days a week = 84 hours.
- Add to that number how much you work.
- Let's say 30 hours.
- Total now is 114 hours you need in a week to do everything except courses and coursework.
- There are 168 hours in a week minus the 114 gives 54 hours per week.
How much time is needed per credit hour?
Standard rule for a 3 credit class.
- 3 hours per credit hour to obtain an A
- That's 12 hours/week (3 in class and 9 studying/homework)
- For a B, 3 hours per credit hour
- That's 9 hours/week (3 in class, 6 outside of class)
- For a C, 2 hours per credit hour
- That's 6 hours/week (3 in class, 3 outside of class)
How much time you need to get all As with 15 credit hours
- 12 hours x 5 classes= 60 hours per week.
We can work the math in reverse
- If you only have 25 hours per week to put toward being in classes and to study and you have 4 courses, the best you should hope is all C grades.
- 4 courses x 3 credits = 12 credits
- 12 credits x 2 hours per credit hour (to get a C) = 24 hours.