Shenanigans on Discord
If you are not available during class
- During class, on Discord, if you miss hearing me call on you more than twice throughout the whole term:
- I will decouple your Discord name from the course and you will not be able to attend the virtual classroom (which is a common rule in academia, locking the door after the class starts to stop late arrivals.)
- I will take up to one week to grade your assignments (which is standard in college) instead of two days that I am generously offering.
Aren't there good excuses for losing connection to Discord?
- People mix up reasons and excuses all of the time.
- Reasons are rationalizations as to why something happened other than what you planned.
- Excuses are ALWAYS a question.
- To have an excuse is to have a question of ASKING to be excused; an excuse is never a statement of fact.
- Bump into someone and then say excuse me, and you are actually asking a question: Will you excuse me for bumping into you?
- Burp out loud, and then say excuse me, and you are actually asking a question: Will you excuse my rudeness of burping out loud?
So, aren't there viable excuses for losing connection to Discord and not responding
- My answer to you asking for an excuse will always be "No."
Aren't there viable reasons for losing connection to Discord and not responding
- Yes, and after you and all of your brilliant reasons can no longer attend the Discord classroom, you can savour those reasons while attending the course in person in the physical classroom.