About 75% of emails and texts are taken as being more negative than intended.
- We'll use Discord for Live Online course discussions
- 10am to 1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Avoid a long wait for answers to your questions.
- Open a direct line of synchronous communication with me and others in the class.
- Asynchronous communication Such as Email, Snail-Mail, leaving notes on a fridgecauses many problems:
- Unclear messages
- Unclear responses
- more exchanges of emails (etc) just for the sake of clarity of messages.
- Synchronous Communication Such as in-person conversations, texting, Internet message services.helps solve the above problems through immediate discussion
- Download and install Discord to your phone or PC
- You'll need a mic and speakers or a mic w/ headset/earbuds.
- Click on this Link to enter Virtual 130.
- When you are on Discord, read the #Read First
- Send me your 4-digit Discord member number in an email from your Titan email
- Wait! Don't send that email yet.
- You'll send me that number in the next part of the tutorial: Email.
- After I have verified your Discord number to your username through that email, I will change your permissions in Discord so you can see all of the different voice and text channels we will use for class-time and for the course.
- Lastly, read the #Entryway to Virtual 130
- I am on Discord most days.
- If I am away, feel free to send a DM and I will respond as soon as I can.
- If I am in the channel called Open Office Hours, you can pop in any time to ask any questions you may have
- When you arrive in the Open Office Hours, announce yourself with a "Hey Dr. Jones, this is Blahity Blah," but give me a minute to respond, as I may be near but not at my PC.
Provisos conditions attached to an agreement:
- All Discord communication with me, and with each other in Virtual 130 is considered classroom discussion.
- Follow all typical decorum for such a context.
- The EFSC Student Code of Conduct applies to all Discord communication in Virtual 130
Caveatsa warning of specific stipulations, conditions, or limitations.
- Howevver, I type clunkliy, so I donnt want anyof you to stres out abiout spellling errors in Discord.
- I never getangry except when someone is being nasty to someone else in the classroomso when I send terse messages or emails, don't assume I'm in a bad mood, angry, or upset.
- I. simply. am. not.
- "The soul of wit is brevity" (Polonius, Hamlet)
Proceed to Tutorial: Part 2