Whether due to religious observance or secular lifestyle, we all need a sabbath
- Think now when your next full day break is.
- An approaching holiday?
- The end of the semester?
- Those are too far away and you'll burn yourself out.
What is a sabbath?
- In many religions, the Godhead rested from creating creation and therefore adherents are to rest as well.
- What is supposed to happen on a sabbath is NO CREATIVE WORK. NO PRODUCTIVE WORK.
- Sabbaths are to be a time of fellowship with family and friends, of rejuvenation, of introspection.
- Sabbaths are weekly, and usually cover 24 hours.
- In the Jewish faith, a sabbath runs from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, EVERY WEEK.
- If your life is far too filled for a 24 hour sabbath, then choose an increment of time you can have, such as 8 hours on a Friday, or 6 hours on a Sunday.
- Find that time frame and stick to it every week
Why take a sabbath?
- If you know, every moment of the day, that a full day of rest is coming in 6 days...5 days...4 days..etc, you can push yourself harder in the week to be more efficient and to get more done.
- As you'll see, after a day of rest, you'll hit the grounding running hard. Refreshed, rejuvenated, revitalized, both mentally and physically.
You are a horrible procrastinator
- It's not altogether bad that you procrastinate (which is sometimes the mind needing a rest from the stresses)
- You are horrible at procrastinating because when you are playing that video game, your mind keeps thinking: "I should be studying". You're not even enjoying yourself!
- When you are studying, you are thinking "I'd rather be playing that video game"
- A sabbath helps relieve the guilt of NOT doing something, of NOT getting something done
When on your sabbath...
- Go to your house of worship if you are religious.
- Go out to nature or the beach if that is your place of solace.
- It is time for communion with others, connections to other people, and alignment with yourself.
- Have a barbecue, meet with friends, play with your kids.
- DO NOT DO ANYTHING THAT IS PRODUCTIVE: no cleaning, no yard work, no organizing, no shopping...don't even THINK about what you need to do.
- The ONLY "work" you can do is to help the infirm, the elderly, or small children.
When the sabbath ends...
- It's over!
- Done is done, back to work, to productivity, to accomplishments.
- Some nights of the week may result in so very little sleep and very little leisure because there is too much that needs done.
- Know that the next sabbath is quickly approaching in 6 days, 5 days, 4 days...
Do NOT ever skip a sabbath
- The most important day is not the six others where you are productive every moment.
- The most important day is the sabbath.
- Do not skip a sabbath either because you are too busy or feel as if you don't deserve one.