Composition 2 Term Paper Rubric
MLA Format Criteria:
- Font-type: Times New Roman
- Font-Size: only 12 point
- Indents: first line of each paragraph of the body indents 1/2" (not five space bar clicks)
- Spacing: Double space every line inthe paper (no more, no less)
- Margins: 1" from all sides (page number header will be within that inch, and that is ok.) From the top, your masthead must be 1"
- No Bold
- No Underlines
- No exclamation marks--EVER!!!!!!!!
- A paragraph should be no less than 1/3 the size of a page and no larger than 1/2 the size of a page.
- Word sets extra spacing after paragraphs; highlight all, right click, choose paragraphs, and set spacing after paragraphs to zero
- List of Pus Words
- You only can have 20 of these pus words in your term paper.
- All of them must be hand numbered with ink: 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
- Any Pus word not numbered (or that exceeds 20 total) is penalized. More than 4 unnumbered pus will immediately cause a rewrite.
Structure of the Term Paper
- Introduction (one paragraph)
- Summarize the entire paper, include concise results from your analysis.
- After the Introduction, the reader should not find new ideas below, but rather longer explanations of what was discussed in the Introduction.
- Film Summary (one paragraph):
Summarize your film by covering the following:
- Year released
- Famous actors
- Critical Reception
- Popular reception
- The Master Plot
- Brief brief summary of the plot
- Method (one paragraph)
- Start with a general overview of how we can use multiple theoretical lenses to examine any subject.
- Mention how there are hundreds of theories that could be used but that you are only using a few in this paper
- Discuss those lenses without explaining or defining them.
- Use people's names where possible.
- Theory/Analysis (many paragraphs)
- Lift these paragraphs directly from the mini-theory papers.
- paragraphs should continually alternate from theory top subject to next theory and subject etc.
- For each Theory paragraph in this section, you will need to quote the source that was in your mini theory paper.
- Use the Full sentence: "blah blah" quote style, such as done in the small theory papers
- Do not use dictionaries or encyclopaedias of any kind.
- Do not use any of the linked sources on the Theory List page.
- Conclusion (one paragraph)
- A conclusion in MLA does not "conclude" nor give results
- A conclusion suggests other ways to continue on the research of the paper.
- For this paper, you have four theories that you chose to not use in the paper that you can use in the conclusion
- You do not need to analyze your film with these theories; simply mention how they could be used by someone else to continue the research of your film.
- Works Cited
- Cite the SIX sources in your Works Cited
- ONLY use Valencia's MLA site; any other form of citation than Valencia is wrong, regardless of the source.